PITTSBURGH WEDDINGS, PITTSBURGH WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER
Engagement season is here! It is so much fun and is my favorite time of the year. This is typically when I have the most amount of couples reaching out who are immediately planning their Pittsburgh wedding right out of the engagement gates. I will receive a number of questions with my inquiries from the obvious availability to pricing and then to the additional add-ons to the wedding day coverage.
My number one question for the add-on for the day is: Do you offer a second photographer? The short answer for this is yes, I do offer the option, however, I’m always going to talk to you first about what your needs are and if it’s something that I can in fact, cover on my own. There are countless articles written by local and national wedding blogs, websites like The Knot, and even other wedding professionals that will almost always tell you that you absolutely need a second (or even third) photographer. They will tell you that there is absolutely NO way a single photographer can accurately capture your day.
I am here today to tell you that it IS possible to capture a wedding with one photographer. I’ve covered 100 weddings to date – all on my own. From small intimate weddings to a guest count of 300, I’ve done it all and most importantly, loved every single second of it. I prefer to cover weddings alone, and I’ll tell you why.
- Less Intrusive: I have found that having one photographer throughout the events of the day is less intrusive. During first looks with the bride and Dad, the bride and groom, etc., having multiple people with multiple cameras in your face can take away from the moment. I like to stay at a distance to observe and document. Out of sight, out of mind. I’ve had some previous clients tell me that they had guests comment that after they viewed their galleries they didn’t even know they had a photographer! Mission accomplished. I am not there to create a show for your guests, nor do I want a second photographer doing so.
- Cost: Yes, cost plays a big part in this. Adding a second photographer into a wedding day coverage costs money! Photographers who have second photographers embedded in their coverage have this built into the cost for the day. Sure, you can hire a team of photographers who are priced lower than my coverage. There are so many amazing Pittsburgh photographers with all different ranges of styles, experience, and expertise. Set your sites on that portfolio that fits your budget, your style, and most importantly your trust.
So hopefully I haven’t lost you yet, because what I want to share now is how I cover your wedding day alone.
- Proper Timeline: I take time with and work on a timeline with my couples. A timeline is important, but what is most important is sticking to it. It doesn’t matter if you have one or twenty photographers on the day of your wedding, if you run late, you run the risk of missing important things on your wedding day. To add to that, it typically stresses everyone out. Stress is not a good look for your photos. I plan out a photography timeline to accurately cover and document the events throughout the day. Most events that would ‘typically require’ a second photographer can generally be worked into a timeline (i.e., bridal and grooms coverage). I add buffer times into all of that so in the event that something does run behind, we still have time. We plan the day together and then I work to keep you on time. I give updates and time checks constantly. My sweet hubby bought me a fantastic Apple Watch and I load the timeline into my calendar and will get updates throughout the day. I always know what is going on, what needs to be going on, and what to do next.
- Proper Planning: I like to keep in contact with my couples throughout the planning process. I have created a couple of guides to help the day along and to help with the planning. From making sure the bridal suite is clear of clutter to having all of the sentimental objects ready to be photographed, I tell you all of this ahead of time. We don’t need to be spending time looking for things when I can be photographing.
- Confidence: This is huge. I have the confidence that I can accurately document a wedding day from start to finish. I am confident in my ability to photograph and my ability to plan the day. I also have the confidence to talk to you about what you want, what you envision, and what you need on the day of your wedding. If I honestly feel that a second photographer would be needed, I have a handful of amazing Pittsburgh photographers in my referrals who offer second photographers and I happily will refer you. At the end of the day, it is your wedding day and you need to be comfortable and confident in the coverage you have.
To end this long post, my advice is to not believe everything you read. If you find a photographer that you love (hopefully that’s me!), reach out, ask questions, and trust that you will be getting the coverage you need and want for your wedding.
. Are you recently engaged and planning your Pittsburgh wedding? I’d LOVE to hear from you! Please feel free to contact me below or email me directly at AmandaBriscoPhotography@gmail.com .